[exim] conditional compound rewriting

Author: Paul Rogers
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] conditional compound rewriting
First of all, I'm using exim-3.20 even if it's obsolete because I have
to keep as small a footprint as possible here. Bought the book, and
trying to follow that. I'm presuming the syntax parsing in 3.20 is the
same as you're currently using in 4.x. I'm having trouble getting the
syntax for the following rewrite rule correct. Trying to lookup a
replacement address for a listed user name IFF it's a user on this
machine. Actually my problem is I'm trying to rewrite things so I can
relay through my ISP out to the big wide world. I'm using SMTP header
rewriting, and need to masquerade my envelopes too with a general rule.
Any help here?

*@* "${if eq {$domain}{$primary_hostname}{lookup{$1}lsearch{REWRITE}\
{$value}fail}fail}" Ffrs

I've tried various versions of braces with the "fail" parts. No joy.

It just occurred to me perhaps I could change the lookup argument to
$1@$primary_hostname, with that small addition to the file, and remove
the if. Better? I think I'd still need to check that the recipient
domain isn't the local machine, which still leaves me getting this
general syntax right. Can anyone tell me what's worng? TIA
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers@???