Re: [exim] exim RPM packages for CentOS et al.

Author: Peter Pöml
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim RPM packages for CentOS et al.
Hi,

Am 18.11.2009 um 14:08 schrieb majid alavizadeh:
> Anybody can help me to find an exim-4.70 RPM for CentOs 5?

I planned to post on this previously -- on a similar thread, a few
months ago. Now is the time :-) The thing is, I could easily provide
builds for CentOS5, RHEL{4,5}, Fedora{9,10,11}, Mandriva* from the
same single source that I use to build openSUSE/SLE packages in the
openSUSE build service.

The *only* thing missing would be that I would need the init script
suitable for the respective distribution, and info about user id and
some paths. So if somebody could provide me with the info and with the
init scripts, I would be happy to maintain the packages. I could
certainly find out the info myself but it would be helpful and speed
up the process if somebody could provide the info who is more familiar
with these platforms than I am.

(While it would be a worthwhile endeavor to come up with a unified
init script that works on all the platforms, experience shows that it
complicates things more than that it solves problems; thus, packaging
a good dedicated init script would do the job just fine.)

The build service provides repo-md package repositories suitable for
consumption by yum and similar packaging tools. Packing for Debian and
Ubuntu is also an option, I have not that much experience with that so
far, though. Fedora/CentOS/RHEL packages however are only a few small
steps away.

Peter