Re: [exim] Improving Exim Documentation: A Simple Suggestion

Author: Frank Heydlauf
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Improving Exim Documentation: A Simple Suggestion
On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 04:08:20PM +0000, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> > http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.20/doc/html/spec_39.html
>
> Which is a 9-year old document, describing a pre-historic version of Exim.
>
> The only time there have been breaking changes in the config file was
> the move from 3.x to 4.x, which is well documented in a file whose
> name I've forgotten, but it's included in the 4.x distribution. The
> number of people this is still relevant for must be vanishingly small,
> and certainly not worth a re-vamp of the current documentation.

Please respect the problems of exim-newbies in finding an appropriate
documentation. With little experience that could be a serious problem.
Using a standard google/whatever query you'll get lots of links to
mailing lists and mirrors of mailing lists and only with luck you'll
get a hit for the current documentation.

Just made a little experiment:
Searched in google for "exim message_size_limit" and got not a single
hit for an old or current version of the official documentation
within the first 20(!) pages (not searched further...).

Searching for "exim message_size_limit site:exim.org inurl:exim-html"
Hits http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_14.html
in the first place.

So without a doubt the search-engine ranking could/should be improved.

The way to get hits in the latest documentation BTW ist to
include "site:exim.org inurl:current" into the search-string.

--
Regards
Frank