Re: [exim] Autoresponder limit not working correctly

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Marten Lehmann
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Autoresponder limit not working correctly
On 2009-10-30 at 21:01 +0100, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> > You are using "to = $sender_address" for the auto-reply, right? So that
> > Exim is replying to the SMTP Envelope Sender? Which would make this
> > impossible.
>
> Did you read my longer reply? In short: Yes, I'm using "to =
> $sender_address", but I don't understand what's wrong with it. What
> whould make the once-per-day setting impossible? $sender_address is en
> email address and would perfectly make a key for a once database.

Miscommunication caused by poor phrasing on my part, sorry.

You reported on having two autoresponders responding to each other.

If you use "to = $sender_address", then you won't reply to a bounce,
because the bounce will have an empty sender.

Now, if the other auto-responder is using something other than the empty
sender, then that would explain it. And for that many responses, the
sender must have been varying.

The "exim_dumpdb" utility should let you look at the once DB; I suspect
something like BATV or VERP addressing from the other auto-responder,
which is ... unfortunate. Neither of those should be changing the empty
envelope sender, but buggy configurations are not unheard of.

You should really be using a senders filter on auto-responders, so you
could add more to that.

Eg, config.samples/C006 includes:

  senders = !^.*-request@.* : !^owner-.*@.* : !^postmaster@.* : \
            ! ^listmaster@.* : !^mailer-daemon@.*

You probably want to build on that.

Probably also:

  condition = ${if and{\
        {!def:h_Auto-Submitted:}\
        {!def:h_Precedence:}\
        {!def:h_List-Id:}\
        }}

to try to filter out some mailing-lists, auto-submitted stuff, etc.

If you have spam-scanning which inserts a header with a spam-score,
probably also worth not auto-responding to stuff which you consider
spam.

Regards,
-Phil