[pcre-dev] hang running configure on redhat AS2.1

Author: Todd Rinaldo
To: pcre-dev
Subject: [pcre-dev] hang running configure on redhat AS2.1
Hi,

I'm running configure for PCRE 8.00 on Redhat AS2.1 and hanging during
the second occurrence of "checking for alias support in the linker". I
was hoping you could point me towards a means to fix this or some way
to get more information as to why it's hanging here.

My command line: ./configure --disable-shared --enable-static

The output

*snip*
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if g++ static flag -static works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking dirent.h usability... yes
checking dirent.h presence... yes
checking for dirent.h... yes
checking windows.h usability... no
checking windows.h presence... no
checking for windows.h... no
checking for alias support in the linker... no
checking for alias support in the linker... ---- Hangs here

Any ideas?