Re: [exim] Always getting "remote host address is the local …

Author: Brett Parker
To: matthieu
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Always getting "remote host address is the local host"
On 27 Oct 12:10, matthieu wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm sorry if my question is basic. I googled a lot before sending this.
> I try to send mails with PHP mail on a Debian server, with Exim4 /
> smarthost.
> I execute mail in command line and get that (I replace domain name by
> mydomain.com):
>
>     mail -v -s "test cmdline" "mydirection@???"
>     test cmdline
>     LOG: MAIN
>       <= root@??? U=root P=local S=359
>     local01:/# delivering 1N2dl4-0007Qp-0n
>     R: smarthost for mydirection@???
>     LOG: MAIN
>       remote host address is the local host: yahoo.fr
>     LOG: MAIN
>       == mydirection@??? R=smarthost defer (-1): remote host
>     address is the local host
>     LOG: MAIN
>       <= <> R=1N2dl4-0007Qp-0n U=Debian-exim P=local S=595
>     LOG: MAIN
>       Frozen
>     delivering 1N2dl4-0007Qr-4G
>     R: system_aliases for postmaster@???
>     R: system_aliases for root@???
>     R: system_aliases for administrator@???
>     R: userforward for administrator@???
>     R: procmail for administrator@???
>     R: maildrop for administrator@???
>     R: lowuid_aliases for administrator@??? (UID 1000)
>     R: local_user for administrator@???
>     T: appendfile for administrator@???
>     LOG: MAIN
>       => administrator <postmaster@???> R=local_user T=mail_spool
>     LOG: MAIN
>       Completed

> So the question is: why does it consider "yahoo.fr" to be local host ??

A quick guess would suggest that you've got it in local_domains - which
particular type debian setup are you using? Because there's split and
single file config...

Also, if you do dig mx yahoo.fr on that machine, what do you get back -
it may be that you're getting localhost back for mx lookups.

Thanks,
--
Brett Parker