Re: [exim] odd setup, can't get email to be delivered - spen…

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] odd setup, can't get email to be delivered - spent about 8 hours on this, and no resolution
2009/10/15 Cisco <shootseabass@???>:
> doing a test on the SHARK server:
>> exim -bt test@???
>  router = lookuphost, transport = remote_smtp
>  host mail.thecompany.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] MX=10
>  host mail2.thecompany.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] MX=20
>
> It seems to resolve correctly. It gets the correct ip address to the exchange server at the INOFFICE server.
> But, exim fails to deliver email to test@???
> Error seems to be:
> 1 - test@??? R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

Is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx routeable from the Exim server? Try 'telnet
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25' from a shell prompt. Seems likely that it's not.

As for why it isn't - you'd need to look at the network topology. Are
both servers behind the same NATing firewall, perhaps, and the
external IP for the Exchange server isn't routeable from the inside,
or does the firewall just eat the packets?

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???