Re: [exim-dev] [Exim-maintainers] Exim 4.70

Author: Tom Kistner
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-maintainers, exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] [Exim-maintainers] Exim 4.70
David Woodhouse wrote:

> I saw that that particular problem was fixed. But I still have this
> scary feeling that it hadn't really been developed with portability in
> mind.

The stuff you found was copypasta sloppiness. I'm usually not in the
habit of using integer as pointers and vice versa, so if gcc shuts up on
-Wall it's good enough for me(tm).

> The obvious brokenness is fixed, and now it compiles without screaming
> "I am broken!" at you. But I'd be a little happier if I know it had
> really been _tested_ on 64-bit and big-endian platforms. Has it?

No. The only BE machine in my reach is a friend's rusty PARISC box which
we keep around for nostalgic reasons.

I'm not worried about architecture, but more about platform (OS) in
general. Maybe it would be a good idea to release an RC tarball first?

/tom