Re: [exim] Filtering outgoing email - need advice

Author: Marc Perkel
To: Phil (Medway Hosting)
CC: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] Filtering outgoing email - need advice

Phil (Medway Hosting) wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "alexandre" [1]<alxgomz@???>
To: "Pete McEvoy" [2]<pete@???>
Cc: [3]<exim-users@???>
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:53 PM

I have done it in the past and i can tell you filtering outgoing mail
for spam is just a bad idea

Try googling then. You will find most anti-spam orgs moan about ISPs/ESPs
NOT doing it. If M$,Yahoo,Gmail etc filtered their outgoing, the work of
anti-spammers would be a lot easier.

In theory, for most "normal" non bulk mail customers, filtering outgoing
should be very low overhead compared to the incoming but would hit hard on
spammers using hijacked user accounts. Because some spammers send only a few
spams per user account, relying on volume only as an incator is becoming
less reliable as time goes on.

All the best

Phil

It's mostly to detect and block if people have been hacked or if they
have someone show up with a virus that get's their IP blacklisted it
won't matter because I'm the one sending their email. I can do a lot
of sanity checks that they probable won't do themselves. I basically
have something working now and going to look for people who want to
test it.