Re: [exim] Filtering outgoing email - need advice

Author: alexandre
To: Pete McEvoy
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Filtering outgoing email - need advice
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 08:28:33AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> > I'm thinking about starting a service to filter spam on outgoing email.
> > I was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this and has some
> > advice on how to do it. These customers will be businesses, not freemail

I have done it in the past and i can tell you filtering outgoing mail
for spam is just a bad idea. You can imagine doing this for virus
scanning as, if AV is correctly setup, you'll have much less false
positice (normally none).

> > customers, and one of the only real threats is if someone gets hacked or
> > has some kind of web form that gets abused.

I have now setup a script to automaticly process abuse-report sent to
me, and warn the customer by email.

> > The advantages for customers would be that many of them have dynamic IPs
> > or static IP names that look dynamic and are worried about being
> > blacklisted. And I'm hoping that by tracking who they send email to that
> > I can match up replies and white list them.

If your customers are assignated dynamic IP range or IP range that looks
dynamic, they just should not send email without being relayed by teir
ISP (you?)... That's the rules.

> > Does this sound like a good idea?

Sorry,but really not! :)