Re: [exim] Relay problem with Godaddy / Exim/ Debian using S…

Author: Oliver von Bueren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Relay problem with Godaddy / Exim/ Debian using SMTP Auth
Josh

>     host smtp.secureserver.net [64.202.166.12]: 553 Dynamic pool
> 72.243.58.235. <http://unblock.secureserver.net/?ip=72.243.58.*>

As a general comment, from my point of view of the internet and DNS,
your mail server is missing the vital DNS entries many mail admins check
- the reverse DNS entry.

Your IP address 72.243.58.235 does not have a PTR record assigned. Start
with getting this corrected by contacting your ISP.
From what I find through DNS, you can drill down to a NS record for
your net block for Deltacom:

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
243.72.in-addr.arpa.    86400   IN      NS      NS1.DELTACOM.NET.
243.72.in-addr.arpa.    86400   IN      NS      NS2.DELTACOM.NET.

A whois on the IP address yells a netblock owned by Otelco
Telecommunications, of which Deltacom is it's parent. It looks like
Deltacom not even assigned a DNS server to handle these IP addresses
owned by Otelco.

My suggestion is: Speak with them to have that fixed, if they don't,
look for another place for your mail server.
If you don't have forward and reverse DNS set up correctly, you will run
into problems all the time. And if that address block you got your
address from is really a dynamic pool from your provider, it's a bad
idea to run a mailserver there anyway.
Or you should start using a mail server provided by your ISP as
smarthost if you can't fix these issues.

Oliver