Re: [exim] How to automate extraction of bounce messages for…

Author: Sander Smeenk
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to automate extraction of bounce messages for thepurpose of unsub'ing recipient addresses
Quoting Sven Agnew (sven@???):

> To this end, I would like to automatically extract bounce message
> I don't know if this is an elegant way to handle this sort of problem.
> Suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

My plan would be to use what mailinglists do: send mails with a varying
envelope-from address which has the subscriber's email-address in it.
The return-path of your outgoing email could be something like:

If the message to reciplocalpart@recipdomain bounces, the return message
will be sent to the Return-path which you can filter out any way you
like.

For example by delivering them to a special mailbox or piping them to a
script which extracts the original recipient from the return-path the
bounce was sent to and automatically removes the entry from your DB.

Extracting exactly -why- the message bounced could be a tough task.
Lots of MTAs which all use their own DSN-messageformat make this
practically impossible.

HTH,
-Sndr.