Re: [exim] Exim Server Sending From Different IPs

Autor: Alain Williams
A: Andrew Rosolino
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim Server Sending From Different IPs
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:24:00AM -0700, Andrew Rosolino wrote:

> I am not sure what the best way to go about this is. We run almost 200
> websites on one of our servers and each website has a quite large user base.
> Usually 10-20 of the websites will send out mass e-mails but the problem is
> Yahoo and other e-mail hosts don't like the volume being sent from the IP
> address so they defer the messages. This creates a huge backup of thousands
> of e-mails. I have about 10 unused IP addresses that I would like to
> randomly be chosen to send the mass e-mail from.
>
> Is it possible to have the exim server randomly choose an IP address to send
> its mail from?

The wrong solution, if they see lots of email they will still delay.
I have a similar small Internet m/c that sends out ~300,000 emails/month,
much of it mail lists (mailman). When I took on a list that accounts for 80%
of the traffic I initially got delays on mail going to yahoo & google.

If you chase round their web sites you can get some advice on what to do; the yahoo
delayed message gives a URL (check your log files). Fill in a web form for bulk mailers
(the yahoo one is a complete pain - IIRC) and it eventually gets better. I now
(6 months on) have few problems sending to these hosts - the pain lasted about a month or so.

I suspect that it helps if the mail being received are not marked as spam by
the recipients - but have no evidence to back this assertion up.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256 http://www.phcomp.co.uk/