Re: [exim] [OT] multiple copies of some posts - was: filters…

Author: Chris Wilson
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [OT] multiple copies of some posts - was: filters files
Hi all,

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2009, at 13:37, Ted Cooper wrote:
>
>> Does anyone else multiple copies of some, seemingly random, post to the
>> exim users list? It seems to be unique to this list.
>
> Yes.
>
> Not unique to this list, but we seem to be suffering more than any
> others I'm on
>
> Some of those (especially first time posts) appear to be down to the
> original sender being over enthusiastic, however Peter's message and the
> quadruple one earlier in the week appear to be replicated within the
> systems sending the message to exim.org - and not even a case of sending
> timeout (ie slow accept where the sender gives up and tries again later,
> meantime the receiver did accept it).
>
> I can't see why this is happening on the messages I analyze other than
> the magic in the system before exim.org went wrong and it magically
> replicated it :-/
>
> Any clues welcome.

I have had reports of duplicate messages specifically from gmail/google
users to our Exim mail server. I think Google decided to take exception to
something that Exim returns for a successful message, and to consider
delivery incomplete (and deliver again later). So far as I can tell, from
debug SMTP logging on our mail server, the SMTP DATA command returns
successfully from Exim and without undue delay, but Google still resends.

Cheers, Chris.
--
\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig@???> Cambs UK |