Re: [exim] greylisting is inverse rate limiting

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] greylisting is inverse rate limiting
Hello Graeme,

Graeme Fowler <graeme@???> (Do 17 Sep 2009 23:40:16 CEST):
> On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 22:17 +0200, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> > Comments?
>
> Only one: if you do this as detailed you will regularly delay mail which
> arrives once every 24 hours.
>
> IMO, and in most greylisting implementations, once a sending host has
> proved itself to be "well behaved" then there's no point making it wait
> every 24 hours. All that will do is delay future mail.

I do not greylist based on the hosts behaviour but on the
sender->recpient relation. And this could be faked and should be checked
over and over.

If it would be based on sending hosts, you are right. But then I
have to count with delays from systems using several sending hosts for
the same message. But I think, this was discussed already up and down.

For the sender->recipient relation I can imagine updating the greylist
records each time the relation is used in the opposite direction, thus
not delaying the answer arriving within 24 hours.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -