Re: [exim] Cluster

Author: Alain Williams
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Cluster
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 05:29:12PM +0100, Ian Eiloart wrote:

> > Any sort of clustering or load balancing would be done outside of Exim.
> > high-availability is "built in" to SMTP by the ability to set multiple
> > MX records, and the ability to retry.

Although you would need some 'high availability' mail store that exim could
deliver to ...

As pointed out below: talking about exim is not quite the same as talking about
MS exchange; to get the same thing you would need to add mail storage (or use a MDA)
and something like imap/pop so that the MUAs could get mail. If you really are into
high availabilty then you perhaps want to choose cyrus over squirrel mail,
cyrus will handle the MDA & IMAP serving.

Cyrus is much harder to get going than many other IMAP servers.

> Which is fine for MX servers. Not so good for MSA. MUAs (user clients)
> don't use MX records, and don't retry even if the smtp server address is a
> round robin in the DNS. At least, none of the servers that I've tried.

No, you prob need an aggegator or IP failover system (heartbeat, etc) to handle that.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256 http://www.phcomp.co.uk/