Re: [exim] Detect missing reverse dns

Author: Ian P. Christian
To: Lena
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Detect missing reverse dns
2009/7/23 <Lena@???>:
> | Many small companies we work with haven's PTR records for
> | IP-addresses of mail servers.

If you're with a company that doesn't have control over your own rDNS,
you should NOT be sending mail out onto the internet IMO, the chances
are your ISP provides a relay for you to do this.

We've had very few issues with blocking outright on rDNS - blocked
about 2.5 million connections yesterday alone, but we do provide
meaningful error messages and provide people a method to report issues
via our postmaster website.

As a mail op for a large mail system, it is of my opinion that we
can't let 'small companies' - who in my experience are FAR more likely
to get compromised get away with poorly configured setups. If all of
us larger operators start being stricter, we can pretty much solve the
botnet generated spam

--
Blog: http://pookey.co.uk/blog
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ipchristian