Re: [exim] retry time not reached for any host after a long …

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period
On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 10:56 -0400, David Wessell wrote:
> Thank you.. Your information pointed me in the right direction. It was
> a DNS issue, and now all is resolved.
>
> There was a lot of failed mail, that was delivered to the local user.
> Is it possible for that email to be resent?

Good to hear.

Exim can't be triggered to resend emails once they have been delivered,
however if the emails bounced to the local user are still complete you
should be able to extract the original email and locally submit it
again. If they were delivered locally to mbox format you'll have to
split email email out into its own file. Maildir will have a single file
for each email.

So for each mail, chop of the top of it to get the original back and
then

cat original-email | exim -bm -t

-bm - accept new message on standard input
-t - pull recipients from to: cc: bcc: headers

A list of all the command line arguments:
http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/ch05.html

You'll get a few extra headers from doing that but the email will
otherwise be unharmed.

If the bounce message doesn't contain all of the original message then
that information is lost forever.

Hope it helps

Ted

--