Re: [exim] blocking on failure of reverse_host_lookup

Top Pagina
Auteur: Joan
Aan: Exim Users List
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] blocking on failure of reverse_host_lookup
2009/7/2 Mike Cardwell <exim-users@???>:
> Ian P. Christian wrote:
>
>> I though I'd seen people post on the list about blocking outright on
>> reverse_host_lookup
>
> What you most likely saw was the same single person repeatedly spouting
> it as the solution to all spam problems in just about every thread
> vaguely related to spam or dns.
>
>> - however having implemented this yesterday, it
>> seems like it quite possibly did block the occasional email.  Before
>> yesterday, it was just used as part of a scoring system.
>>
>> What are peoples thoughts on this?

No solution is perfect, but rdns is quite helpful, this is more or
less what I have:
I set up rdns checks enabled by default, the ip addresses that doesn't
have a valid rdns get a 450 temporary error.
I created a big whitelist for the neighbour countries grouping the ips
in big ranges.
For the unproperly configured domains, I created a web page with
information on how to get whitelisted, just sending a mail to
postmaster.
I see that it isn't the perfect solution, but in the time I've had it
implemented there hasn't been many problems (at least that we are
aware of)

Another usage of the rdns would be the one explained in this thread,
applying harder spam controls to the sources that doesn't have a
properly configured rdns.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/exim/users/83353