Re: [exim] greylisting

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Dmitry Samersoff
Para: David Woodhouse
CC: exim users, Ian P. Christian
Assunto: Re: [exim] greylisting
David,

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 17:28 +0400, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:
>> I think SQL for graylist is totally overkill.
>
> It's only sqlite -- it doesn't require a separate database server; it's
> purely within Exim.

It doesn't make it faster and doesn't excuse SQL parser, transactions
and bunch of other staff not needed in this case.

> You've got to have _some_ kind of database, and this
> is more efficient than just doing it with text files (as my original
> implementation did.

sqlite is nice product (good step back to 1994) but people tend to
consider it as a cure-all-diseases magic pile. We need a record manager
here but not a database - i.e. Berkeley DB, not sqlite.

>> Check this implementation:
>> http://www.beastsoft.net/cgi-bin/hg/hgwebdir.cgi/greyd/
>
> Ew, Mercurial and C++... not the best first impression.
>
> A separate dæmon written in C++ with a 'thread pool' implementation and
> weird OS 'abstraction' layers to handle signals... that's not overkill?

It's really fast and scalable (actually what it was written for - one of
mid size ISP asked me for help). Also it couldn't cause email loss -
i.e. if something goes wrong e-mail just passed in.

> You also don't seem to be passing it anything other than $sender_address
> and $sender_host_address -- and you're even assuming the latter is
> Legacy IP, afaict.

I'm checking sender host address and sender from address, e.g:
209.85.218.168:*@gmail.com

This combination is sufficient enough but not perfect. What else you
suggest to check?

--
Dmitry Samersoff
dms@???, http://devnull.samersoff.net