Re: [exim] Debian and Exim

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian and Exim
Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, 7 May 2009 11:07:22 +0300, Odhiambo ?????
> <odhiambo@???> wrote:
>> Nothing wrong at all. It's just the split configuration that I fear. You
>> must have misunderstood me.
>> There is a separate list that supports Exim pon Debian, just FYI and I
>> believe that was necessitated by Debian's split configurations. I recently
>> helped a friend configure Apache on Debian and man, I wasted so many hours!
>
> jftr, articles like these have kept me off exim-users for half a year.
>
> Greetings
> Marc

Marc,

OK - perhaps I/(we?) overlook that it isn't *always* split config, and I've
reviewed enough of the work to recognize it was neither an idle time-waster nor
done without a lot of dedicated effort.

But at some point you've got to recognize that if/as/when those using the
'stock' Exim configure methodology even *try* to aid a Debian-Exim-config user,
- which is not even ALL Debian-Exim users - without *at least* the caveat:

'Your environment may be very different'

- we are odds-on to get our underwear - and theirs - wrapped around the drive axles.

A Windows SI - feeding his family on a far more exasperating OS - passed
something on to me recently:

"One of the definitions of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and
over and expect a different outcome each time."

- Windows ain't changing.

- Debian ain't changing.

- Exim JFW either way - so long as one pays attention.

Let's at least stop kvetching at each other about the 'different outcome' 'coz
that ain't happening *either*...

Regards,

Bill