Re: [exim] Default enabling of dnsdb

Autor: Phil Pennock
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Default enabling of dnsdb
On 2009-05-06 at 09:27 +0100, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> Quite a lot of domains have an SPF record of "v=spf1 -all". I never
> found out *why* this is the case, but it is.

I have the domains: globnix.org globnix.net globnix.com

The first two are in active use. The third is not used for sending mail
and mostly is a placeholder, which makes it rather convenient for
various tests, where I need a real registered domain.

globnix.com never sends mail. I used to get joe-job backscatter for it.
Between DomainKeys and the SPF "v=spf1 -all" I no longer get joe-job
backscatter for it.

There are many issues with SPF and how it relates to forwarding, but if
a domain never sends mail in the first place, then there's no mail to
forward and it's safe to publish SPF records for that domain.

More, it's polite to publish such an SPF record for that sort of domain,
letting others have a lightweight check to reject inbound spam.

Regards,
-Phil