Re: [exim] (no subject)

Author: Randy Bush
To: Phil Pennock
CC: exim-users, Graeme Fowler
Subject: Re: [exim] (no subject)
>> work0.psg.com:/var/spool/exim/db# exim_tidydb /var/spool/exim retry
>> Tidying Exim hints database /var/spool/exim/db/retry
>> top shows
>>   PID USERNAME   THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
>> 38730 root         1  62    0  7772M  3432M pfault  1   0:25 16.26% exim_tidydb
>> system locks up and requires remote power bar
> Then the system is fairly hosed.  You should be able to run the tidy as
> exim, IIRC, but even so a lock-up like that is rare.

yep. and is happening on at least three systems, two of them where the
only mail is five outbound log reports a day. all were cvsupped about
the same time some weeks back when this all started.

> My thoughts turn to the FreeBSD-SA-09:07.libc and the libc updates for
> db security issues and wondering whether the patch for your branch is
> bad -- it seems the most likely recent change.

started maybe two-three weeks ago. but could have been a month gap
before a cvsup back then. have cvsupped in the last two days again.

am now doing a full cvsup, no -s, and blown away /usr/obj, before
building kernel and world. will do so again now, just in case. then i
will force exim rebuild.

that's all i can think of. eye of newt?

randy