Re: [exim] (no subject)

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Randy Bush
CC: exim-users, Graeme Fowler
Subject: Re: [exim] (no subject)
On 2009-04-28 at 07:35 +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> work0.psg.com:/var/spool/exim/db# exim_tidydb /var/spool/exim retry
> Tidying Exim hints database /var/spool/exim/db/retry
>

> top shows
>
>   PID USERNAME   THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
> 38730 root         1  62    0  7772M  3432M pfault  1   0:25 16.26% exim_tidydb

> system locks up and requires remote power bar

Then the system is fairly hosed. You should be able to run the tidy as
exim, IIRC, but even so a lock-up like that is rare.

My thoughts turn to the FreeBSD-SA-09:07.libc and the libc updates for
db security issues and wondering whether the patch for your branch is
bad -- it seems the most likely recent change. I've updated libc since
that, but not recompiled Exim, and this is 7.0 amd64. No problems
observed.