Re: [exim] Unqualified addresses

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [exim] Unqualified addresses
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Chambers, Phil wrote:

> I find it hard to believe that the sender is not getting this problem
> from other sites, so I am looking to find out if I am unusual in
> rejecting messages with unqualified addresses in the header (as opposed
> to the envelope). Would you allow such a message in?

(Hello Phil.)

No:

  ## header syntax error
  ## However, we allow the stupid Microsoft-generated but technically
  ## invalid "<Undisclosed-Recipient:;>" content through because it
  ## causes many problems otherwise
  deny  !verify    = header_syntax
         message   = Syntax error in the headers of your message.\n\
                     $acl_verify_message\n\
                     REFUSENOTICE
        condition  = ${if eq{$h_to:}{<Undisclosed-Recipient:;>}{no}{yes}}

You will see we do make one concession to broken MS clients. Explaining
it to so many end users was getting tedious.

I think from previous conversations on this list, though, use of
verify header_syntax is not very commonplace.

I suggest you stand firm, and repeat the suggestion to the sender that he
uses the Bcc: header if he wants you to accept the messages. If he can't
be bothered to do that, then they won't get delivered, and that's a
decision he makes. He'll still blame you, of course, but if he chooses
not to take up a workable compromise, that's up to him.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK