Re: [exim] MX name with _ : all relevant MX records point t…

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] MX name with _ : all relevant MX records point tonon-existent hosts
mbneto wrote:

> First of all thanks for all the reply I've received.
>
> I'd like to address what I consider the relevant topics in one message.
>
> 1) First of all the solution, so hopefully the next person with the same
> problem will find it easier than me.
>
> I've added this as my first router.
>
> myrouter:
> driver = manualroute
> domains = domain.that.should.not.be.named.com
> transport = remote_smtp
> route_list = * ip.registered.to.the.mx.that.contains.the.underscore
> no_more
>
> This worked and will make all messages to that domain to be routed to that
> IP.

Really? I thought the better solution would be to use Jakob Hirsch's
suggestion, ie "dns_check_names_pattern" ... That way you wouldn't need
to maintain a special router for a particular domain. What if they
change the IP of the MX for that domain without you noticing?

> 3) The domain.com example
>
> I usually only give the specifics of a problem when they are relevant to the
> solution, which is not the case. Whatever domain uses the _ will have the
> same problem so the replacement to protect the innocent (or guilty) :)
>
> I was not aware that this was a sensitive issue so my apologies for that.

The list rules state that you must not obfuscate. Several subscribers
take this too literally and believe there is never a case for
obfuscation. IMO, your case was fine for it. But yes, you should have
used example.com rather than domain.com.

--
Mike Cardwell
(https://secure.grepular.com/) (http://perlcv.com/)