Re: [exim] retry configuration

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry configuration
Ted Cooper [Exim-users] wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:48:04 +0300, Catalin Constantin <dazoot@???>
> wrote:
>> Here is the configuration.
>> # in the retry section
>> *                      *           F,6h,10m; G,24h,30m,1.5; F,4d,2h

>> We also tried with the retry conf suggested by Bill Hacker:
>> *                       *           F,10m,2m; G,2h,5m,1.1; F,4h,30m

> I think Bill made a typo there - the "F,4h,30m" means that after 4 hours,
> the mail is bounced. I'm fairly sure that wanted to be a "F,4d,30m" or
> something similar.

No typo. C&W needed only two weeks on the *first* 'global' network. But
that was 4 WPM and a hundred and eleven years ago (completed 1898).

As said - we'd rather *know* a mail failed same-day while there is time
to phone or fax.

For intra & inter-office, between HQ & branches, we have run as short as
13 minutes - just enough time to move a full ~ 800 MB CDROM as an
attachment.

> Regardless, that retry should have attempted to send at least one email to
> yahoo servers once every 2 minutes for 10 minute provided that you actually
> run a queue runner.

..and therein lies a tale.

I use -q55s and so suggested.

Catalin has not *yet* given us any sight of his setting, but I'll not be
surprised it is longer than 5 minutes.

Perhaps *much* longer.

> In the event that yahoo are aggressively greylisting
> you, I would talk to them rather than attempt to get around the technical
> problem as it sounds like you've been targeted for special treatment.

And/or randomize the deliveries so as not to drop a thousand-plus on
them in a few minutes time from a single source. But that's MLM tuning,
not Exim.

*yawn*

Bill