Re: [exim] No message-id and SMTP spamassassin checking

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] No message-id and SMTP spamassassin checking
John Horne wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 20:46 +0800, W B Hacker wrote:

*snip*

> You reject mail with no subject line?

Per-user pref, actually. The snippet posted was stripped of about half
its functionality as certain to be confusing.

> As far as I can see no subject line is valid (so is no message-id it
> seems). RFC2822 section 3.6 says:
>
> The only required header fields are the origination date field and
> the originator address field(s). All other header fields are
> syntactically optional.
>
> Further along RFC2822 says that a message-id SHOULD be present, but
> that is not a MUST.

The RFC's are only a small part of the whole environment.

Without a far-end-assigned message-ID, it is hard to debug, let alone
establish an evidence trail if/as/when one is called upon to do so...

And empty subject lines are more than just a minor annoyance.

Mind - we might do it differently if either were more common among
'legit' messages and/or folks would not wake up and correct them - but
they are de minimus here.

0.67 percent, as it were.

;-)

Bill