Re: [exim] No message-id and SMTP spamassassin checking

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] No message-id and SMTP spamassassin checking
John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We sometimes receive messages which have no Message-Id header. Since we
> also do SMTP time spamassassin checking, the SA log file checks the
> message but shows the message-id as 'unknown'. Because of this it is
> pretty much impossible to tie together the Exim log entry of the
> received message (where the message-id is logged as 'id='), and the SA
> log of how the message scored (i.e. what scored was it assigned, and
> what tests did it trigger).
>
> I have tried adding a Message-ID header in the DATA ACL, but this made
> no difference (message-id still 'unknown' according to SA). I assume
> because the header isn't actually added until delivery time.
>
> Does anyone know a way around this problem? When we receive complaints
> of received spam we check the SA log to see what rules were and were not
> triggered. However, we cannot do this for messages without a message id.
>

> Thanks,
>
> John.

ISTR those are (generally) created on MS 'lookout' o/e (if even legit at
all..) AND that MS has 'fixed' that a while back, so it should be a
gradually vanishing issue.

Otherwise, the sending MTA often adds a message-ID for such (as Exim can
do..)

If NEITHER - simply reject them at smtp time.

Ex:

#  DATA_7: IF NOT proper headers THEN [warn | deny].
#
# warn
deny
     message     = X-Broken-Mailer: Headers violate RFC2822 standard.
     log_message = D7 missing message-id, date, or subject headers
     condition   = ${if or {{!def:h_Message-ID:} {!def:h_Date:} \
                    {!def:h_Subject:}} {true}{false}}

That places the onus where it belongs - on the sending MUA / MTA to fix
*their* (not *your*) problem.

CAVEAT - a 'deny' may be too draconian for some folks...

JM2CW

Bill