[exim] No message-id and SMTP spamassassin checking

Author: John Horne
To: Exim users
Subject: [exim] No message-id and SMTP spamassassin checking
Hello,

We sometimes receive messages which have no Message-Id header. Since we
also do SMTP time spamassassin checking, the SA log file checks the
message but shows the message-id as 'unknown'. Because of this it is
pretty much impossible to tie together the Exim log entry of the
received message (where the message-id is logged as 'id='), and the SA
log of how the message scored (i.e. what scored was it assigned, and
what tests did it trigger).

I have tried adding a Message-ID header in the DATA ACL, but this made
no difference (message-id still 'unknown' according to SA). I assume
because the header isn't actually added until delivery time.

Does anyone know a way around this problem? When we receive complaints
of received spam we check the SA log to see what rules were and were not
triggered. However, we cannot do this for messages without a message id.

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001