Re: [exim] Thought exim did this by default..

Author: B. Cook
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Thought exim did this by default..

Eli wrote:
>> These are messages destined for '@gmail.com' if I were to manually
>> attempt a delivery (-v -d -M 1Lra2g-000KKM-Sd) it will deliver that one
>> email only..
>
> If you're doing it via CLI and specify just a single message to be
> delivered, it will deliver just that single message. On the upside though,
> if there was a delivery problem that caused the rest of the emails for that
> domain to be delayed, upon successful delivery of a single message, it will
> make exim realize (on next queue runner) that it can deliver to that domain
> and it will attempt delivery of pending messages (based on router/transport
> settings).

Well thats what I was hoping for..
>> What is the setting that says 'attempt to deliver all emails destined
>> for "domain" over a single connection'..
>
> You can set this on your SMTP transport; check out the
> connection_max_messages setting in the docs. It defaults to 500, so it
> should indeed be doing it "by default". I just noticed also it says you can
> use this setting via CLI with the -oB flag.
>
> Eli.

Maybe I'm not doing it right or missing something..

[/usr/local/etc/exim]# 195 > exiqgrep -r frontiernet.net -i -c
3 matches out of 3976 messages

[/usr/local/etc/exim]# 196 > exim -oB2 -C configure -M 1LraPt-000IeA-7t

[/usr/local/etc/exim]# 197 > exiqgrep -r frontiernet.net -i -c
2 matches out of 3975 messages

So I thought that should have tried to deliver 2 messages in one smtp
connection.. looks like it only did one.

# man page

-oB <n>   This is a debugging option which limits the maximum number of
      messages  that  can  be  delivered  down one SMTP connection,
      overriding the value set in any smtp  transport.  If  <n>  is
      omitted, the limit is set to 1.

configure:
704 remote_smtp:
705 driver = smtp
706 hosts_randomize

707 interface = 1.2.3.4
708 multi_domain = true
709 connect_timeout = 30s
710 data_timeout = 30s
711 connection_max_messages = 5

Not sure what I'm missing here..

Does the order of things mean anything in the transport?