Re: [exim] Exim drops core size

Author: Jörg Sommer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim drops core size
Hallo Ted,

Ted Cooper <eximX0902w@???> wrote:
> Jörg Sommer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> why exim sets the limit for coredumps to 0? If one of the processes
>> executed by exim, e.g. procmail, crashes I can't get a coredump. Is there
>> an option to tell exim not to do so?
>
> This is considered a debugging feature

That's not a debugging feature. It's a resource limit Exim manipulates.
There's no reason why Exim should change this limit.

> If you have things crashing and need to figure out what is going on, try
> a changing the source code to increase the size of the core dump and
> create a debug build of exim.

For me, Exim is wrong. It shouldn't change system settings it wasn't told
to do.

> For something like procmail, you should be able to reproduce the error
> outside exim to enable the core dump.

But I can't reproduce the crash. It happens very seldom and I've no idea
how to trigger it manually. That's why I want to enable coredumps, but
Exim stands in the way.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Das Recht, seine Meinung zu wechseln, ist eines der wichtigsten
menschlichen Privilegien.