Re: [exim] blocked using Trend Micro RBL+

Author: Renaud Allard
To: Allocchio Claudio, Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] blocked using Trend Micro RBL+
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:43:06 +0100 Allocchio Claudio <claudio.allocchio@???>
wrote
> there are millions of IP addresses which Trend Micro RBL+ blocks
> stating they're dynamic
> without any real reason.

I also got an issue with Trend Micro blacklisting one IP (with matching
DNS,RDNS,HELO) of one of my customers a few days ago. I am working for a large
"international" ISP and they asked us to provide information for _ALL_ our
ranges to remove this particular IP from their blacklist. Also, the mail with
this info should be sent from a postmaster account. This kind of thing is almost
impossible as there are many groups managing those IPs and those groups are
everywhere in the world, and people (if any) being able to send a mail from
postmaster@ are not doing any network related job. I told them it was impossible
to give the whole info, but we could give it partially and not from a postmaster
address and they disagreed.

> We should really consider some global actions against this practice,
> including
> not using their services.

In fact nobody has any interest in using their blacklist as there are way too
many false positives and they don't want to update them. So everyone using those
lists is losing legitimate mails.

You know how accurate blacklists are when there is a possibility to remove
falsely listed IPs easily. If there is a matching static non generic DNS,RDNS
and HELO, how could they possibly refuse to unlist the IP? That's about like "we
know that this IP is listed by error, but we will keep this error in our lists".
Just avoid Trend Micro blacklists, that's all.