Re: [exim] Disable retry Q

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Disable retry Q
Mr David Robertson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way of disabling exim retry rules?
> I do not want to use retry but rules I have configured the routers to
> judge if a mail is to old.
>
> condition = "${if and {{ >{$message_age}{8600}}{
> match{$received_ip_address}{192.168.1.1}}}}"
>
> I know that * * in a retry rule will cause mail to be bounced on the
> second attempt but this is not quite what I want.
> Mail should stay on the queue until it has passed a time out set in the
> router.
> Basically I just want to bypass exims own retry logic and use my own.
>
> ?
>
> Regards
>
> David

Short answer: Never tried totally disabling them, so don't really know.

Longer answer: Should be dirt-simple to set the retry times to such
loooong intervals, even for the initial go, that your custom router
essentially 'always' beats them to the punch.

Which might leave a number of 'retry timeout not reached...' in the
logs, but should be safe enough for proof-of-concept.

Perhaps more than safe if the 'long' timeout is not grossly longer than
whatever you figure is reasonable for your router to have done the job
if it *could* do it, as it would serve as a fail-safe that still took
advantage of Exim's 'final disposition' mechanism for things that cannot
*ever* be delivered.

Which your router probably does not do....

... and leads me back to preferring to JF Adjust the retry rules, AND
NOT re-invent that particular wheel WITH the associated axle it turns
on, brakes, steering, tires.... etc.

HTH,

Bill