Re: [exim] T=remote_smtp defer (-44): retry time not reached…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Alfredo Andaluz Prado
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] T=remote_smtp defer (-44): retry time not reached forany host
On 2009-02-22 at 18:03 -0500, Alfredo Andaluz Prado wrote:
> hi today i get this message :
>
> LOG: 0 MAIN
> <= root@??? U=root P=local S=606
> tmkgyec:/# Exim version 3.36 debug level 1 uid=8 gid=8
> Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.2.9: (August 4, 2006)
> delivering message 1LbN8e-0003Lc-00
> LOG: 5 MAIN
> == soatgea@??? T=remote_smtp defer (-44): retry time not
> reached for any host
>

> any idea ? what ist the reason seguros-bolivar.com get "T=remote_smtp defer
> (-44): retry time not reached for any host" ??

You have "recently" tried to connect to the host, it failed, this was
remembered in the "retry" hints; when considering the address again,
Exim first checks its retry hints. You've not yet reached a retry time,
Exim doesn't *yet* retry delivery. It will retry later.

You're running Exim 3 which is very old and is unsupported, but back
then the sections of the configuration file were divided by the word
"end" and if you count sections, the fourth or fifth (near the end of
the file) has the retry rules. I forget which came first, retries or
rewrites.

If you check the file called "spec.txt" in your Exim docs, and search
for "exinext", you'll see how you can query addresses to find out what
error was seen when you last tried, when it first failed, when it was
last tried and when it will next be tried.

-Phil