Re: [exim] Failed to get write lock

Autor: John Horne
A: Exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Failed to get write lock
On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 13:07 +0000, Mr David Robertson wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. But I've already tried that.
> Stops errors for a minute or two but they do return.
> Both servers are using the same versions of exim and bdb.
> db41-4.1.25_4
> Yet one errors and the other does not.

Hi,

We had a similar problem several weeks ago - same error but with a
different DB file, the ratelimiting file. As far as I remember the
problem came down to simply server loading. At the time we were being
hit hard by some servers continuously trying to mail us, which was why
the file was in use at all, but at the same time we were handling a lot
of other mail. Overall the server was loaded. This lasted a few days,
but as far as I remember in the end we actually did nothing, the problem
'went away'. As already suggested we deleted all the DB files, but, as
you noticed, the problem only disappeared for a few minutes. I'll try
and rack my brains to try and remember anything else, but I'm pretty
sure our case came down to a simple case of loading.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001