Re: [exim] Defer mail for time

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Phil Pennock
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Defer mail for time
On 2008-12-25 at 10:16 +0100, Renaud Allard wrote:
> While I, like others, think it is a bad idea to defer mail from some
> providers.

I agree. But then, I would. But "it's a bad idea" when talking to
management who are requesting such "interesting" schemes doesn't tend to
carry as much weight as "ooh, interesting legal implications, let's
check with $legal_counsel".

It's a matter of figuring out arguments that work for the people making
the request, who might well not be technical.

>            An idea to not use others ressources and trigger
> notifications would be to accept such mails, not defer them, but freeze
> them in the queue. Then at the chosen hours, unfreeze them. This would
> not consume others bandwidth and storage.

An excellent suggestion.

This has the added merit of letting the OP add up the cost of storage
for implementing this and attach a price figure to the cost of
implementing the policy (assuming a large enough organisation that this
isn't just noise at the level of a few mails a day). And then if
management do object, noting that the cost of the storage is a cost of
implementing the policy and if they simply refuse to accept the mails
until the right time then this is a minimum price figure to assume for
the service being appropriated from others.

-Phil