Re: [exim] Recipients with no MX record need to drop

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Recipients with no MX record need to drop
On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 10:20 -0500, Don Sceifers wrote:
> Our server is being deluged by people spamming domains that have no valid
> email addresses, but the server doesn't drop them, at least not until it has
> read the content. Unfortunately, that takes a lot of time to do. We were
> trying to sever the connection as soon as we realized the mail would be
> eventually undeliverable.

I'm confused as to which way this reads, but still...

To make sure you don't accept messages for non-existent addresses in
domains you handle, in the RCPT ACL you need

require verify = recipient

That will run the recipient through your routers and make sure a
significant delivery will happen.

To ensure the inbound sending domains are valid domains, in the MAIL ACL
you need

require verify = sender

That will make sure that the remote domain exists.

Graeme