Re: [exim] Queue_run_max question

Author: lee
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Queue_run_max question
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 02:13:48PM -0800, Brent Jones wrote:

> I was hoping to make sure the load was steady even if we got a big
> spike, but it like wont be an issue for a while.

You can tune that with options like (adjust values to your needs) these:

queue_only_load = 3.0
deliver_queue_load_max = 4.0

queue_run_max = 5
remote_max_parallel = 8
smtp_accept_max = 50
smtp_connect_backlog = 55
smtp_accept_max_nonmail = 20
smtp_accept_max_nonmail_hosts = *
smtp_accept_max_per_connection = 40
smtp_accept_max_per_host = 10
smtp_accept_queue = 15

check_spool_space = 768M
check_spool_inodes = 10000

message_size_limit = 60M
return_size_limit = 4k
bounce_return_size_limit = 4k

There is a chapter about "Resource control" in the Exim
documentation. I even consider setting some of these options as
required in any case, to protect the server from beeing overwhelmed.

In particular, "queue_only_load" and "deliver_queue_load_max" can help
greatly to even out the load by keeping it below your specified
maximums when there is a spike and processing them later when the load
is lower. I've seen it happening, and it worked great.