Re: [exim] How to not reply to bad mail

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Ian Eiloart
To: Rick Duval, exim users
Betreff: Re: [exim] How to not reply to bad mail

--On 20 November 2008 17:50:03 -0500 Rick Duval <rick@???> wrote:

> But my server gets thousands of messages to non-existent local_parts
> and some spammers send them all from some poor guys address (I know
> I've been on the victim side of that where someone is spamming and
> using my address in the from header).
>
> I'm not only concerned that I'll be flooding that server with rejected
> emails but also that my server could end up blacklisted because of the
> potential flood of replies generated.

Note that rejecting a message at SMTP time (using "deny" in an ACL, for
example) is different from accepting it and then generating a bounce
message. If you reject a message, then it is the responsibility of the
sending server to generate any bounce message. Spammers don't bother.

Your "deny" isn't generating the bounce. The sending MTA is generating the
bounce. If it's a false positive, then that's a good thing because the
original sender needs to know.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex