Re: [exim] Migration from Exchange to Linux

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Brent Clark
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Migration from Exchange to Linux
Angelo Babudro wrote:
> I have a client that had a Linux mail server, but a person who was not
> Linux-friendly replaced it with a server running a trial version of MS
> Exchange. The client only needs a simple mail server and doesn't want
> to pay the license fee to keep using Exchange, so I am exploring whether
> they can move back to Linux without losing all stored e-mail.
>
> I can't find any information on converting the aggregate and proprietary
> MSExchange data file to the Linux maildir files I know and prefer.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or techniques for doing this? Perhaps a way
> to script the sending of e-mails from the Exchange server to an Exim server?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Angelo

Hi

This is not really a Exim topic. Yours is more mail storage / migration
(You should be asking IMAP guys).

But to help, here is my 2c worth of advise.
First off, I was tasked to do this about 3 yrs ago and the way i did it
at the time was use this method.

http://en.opensuse.org/Migrate_from_Microsoft_Exchange.

That was then, but today I would look at using Dovecot and just using
imapsync (and theres a range of other tools out there for you to hack
and get all this done).

Personally i think you thinking small. Go with a solution like Zimbra
and reveal bells and whistles as needed, plus it will make you task way
easier.

HTH.

Regards
Brent Clark