Re: [exim-dev] Data retention with Exim

Author: Oliver von Bueren
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Data retention with Exim

> Right now, I am not aware of the national differences, but suggested to
> add a log format to select the country, in case there are any. From the
> various answers, it sounds like that's indeed required.
>

> but data retention is required by machines and asks for 100% accuracy,
> best achieved by simplicity, like setting a logfile option and selecting
> the format for Germany.

Why should exim "in the code" know of the different requirements for all
the countries? That would require a new version of exim each time a
country changes something on their requirement.
IMHO it would be much better to have a "LogFormat" option, which would
simply list the fields required in which order, like
envelope-from;envelope-to;date;.....

That way changing anything is as easy as changing this line in the
configuration. A FAQ-entry could list the requirements currently in
force by different country.

Oliver