Re: [exim-dev] Data retention with Exim

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Data retention with Exim
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Graeme Fowler wrote:

| Given that each member state of the EU can modify the Directive
| 2006/24/EC to fit their own ends (which in fact the UK govt has done)

I'm not totally clear about this aspect. Member states can choose the
period for which data is retained (between 6 months and 2 years).
But is there local scope to change which fields must be retained ?

Article 5 says "Member States shall ensure that the following categories
of data are retained" which I guess means requiring more is an option
but not less.

| it's my belief that providing a fixed format which "fits" is not the job
| of the application, but the job of the sysadmin running the application.

Agreed.

And as you say, it looks like all the info that might be wanted is already
logged by default. Without having seen Michael's patch, I can't comment,
but perhaps he means a log which has LESS info than the default ie. ONLY
that required by law.

No doubt this might also be achieved by suitable post-processing.