[exim-dev] Data retention with Exim

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Data retention with Exim
Hello,

I hate being forced to bring up this topic, but even if I would not,
"1984" is no longer fictional and I am sorry helping big brother:

I suggest a patch that introduces a new and optional log file that
carries all data required by the European data retention guideline.
The format of the Exim log may change and is not too well suited as
source for extracting what's needed. The format of the new logfile will
not change and only store what is needed in a rather fixed manner.
That's the easiest interface I can imagine to allow each concerned
site reliably getting the data.

Should other laws require different details, we may have to add a log
format besides the option specifying the path.

The small patch is experimental and (for now) contained in #ifdefs for
not disturbing production builds, but allowing to share it with others
having the same problem. A bunch people certainly require some solution
by the end of the year, although only one has asked on exim-users already.

Are there any non-political opinions against committing this patch?

Michael