Re: [exim] Ha: Re: How many times does router run for multip…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Ha: Re: How many times does router run for multiple recipients?
vitas1@??? wrote:
> wbh@??? wrote on 06.10.2008 17:13:47:

>> *anything* that satisfies a router condition so as to trigger it
>> 'affects' all *subsequent* routers.
>>
>> - the message 'falls through' the trapdoor of the satisfied router.
>>

>> Gone.
>>
>> Handed-off to a transport to be precise.
>>

> Well, but my REDIRECT router has no transport options. Where could a
> message 'fall through'?
>
>> Nothing left for any subsequent router to 'see'.
>>
>> Elvis has left the building. Or at least the hallway where the
>> doors to routers are. Taken his keys with him, as well.
>>

>> *anything* that FAILS to satisfy a router condition i.e. does NOT
>> 'trigger' it, affects all subsequent routers in a different way.
>>
>> - the message is still there, continues the march, worst-case being
>> seen
>
>> by ALL routers and satisfying NONE of them. Think handfull of door
>> keys.
>>
>> NB: Should be obvious that the sequence is quite critical, as first
>> satisfied means no further tests.
>>

> Exim documentation says:
>
> "3.13 Delivery in detail

> EACH recipient address is offered to EACH configured router in turn,
> subject to its preconditions, until one is able to handle it."

'.. until one ...'

> In my case EACH recipient address is NOT offered to REDIRECT router
> - router is just skipped if condition failure for previous recipient
> had occured. So could say "first failed" - but not "first satisfied"
> - "means no further tests".

Unless / until you turn up your logging detail or add some tracking
tools (see also 'debug_print') you can only be sure what took place with
those routers that do what was expected of them and leave footprints in
the logs. Or somewhere else recoverable/visible.

So the 'NOT offered' may or may not be correct, and may or may not be
for the reason you believe it to be such.

Bill