著者: W B Hacker
To: exim users
題目: Re: [exim] RFC 5321, 5322
Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 4 October 2008 05:12:18 +0800 W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:
>

>> - Too few long-standing needs have been addressed. It is close to ten
>> years since Courier-MTA introduced a post-data phase extension that
>> would allow a server to say WTTEF: "10 of those 13 will accept that
>> these 3 will not." Ability to check content and return a modified list
>> of accept/reject while still 'online' is essential - and much 'cheaper'
>> than playing with potentially damaging after-the-fact 'bounces'.
>>

> I propose an SMTP extension, allowing two hosts to switch into LMTP, which
> does permit this. The LMTP protocol is nicely defined, and lots of code
> exists.
>
> Am I right in thinking that, if such an extension existed, it would be
> relatively easy to modify Exim to support it?

Probably just a matter of moving (parts of) that code - or calls to it -
into new places.

I'm not fussed as much on the *how* as on the need to get moving on it.

Try parallel efforts - see what works.

With that in mind, it wouldn't hurt to look at how well EXDATA has (or
has not) worked on courier-to-courier transfers. Given that it has been
shipping for nearly a decade, seems it would have been dropped had it
been more of a problem than a solution.

Bill