Re: [exim] Looking to Create and Addtional Header Record to …

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Lloyd Tennison
To: W B Hacker, exim users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Looking to Create and Addtional Header Record to Solve AOL Redaction Problems
AOL will allow the information in a footer, but that makes for much more
overhead (and hard to do in Mailman if you have HTML messages.) The
information is still available from AOL, they just made it harder to get.
Here is AOL's postmaster blog link on the issue.

http://journals.aol.com/pmtjournal/blog/entries/2008/08/13/more-on-the-upcoming-feedback-loop-conversion/3001.

Since people report even individual emails sent only to them as SPAM -
accidentally or on purpose, doing it in the MTA is much more effective.

Every list gets SPAM complaints, well-run or not. Ask the moderators here or
any other list. People are both lazy and can hit the SPAM button as it is
next to the Delete button accidentally. (Incidentally, if my lists were
not well-run, AOL would not still have me whitelisted. That is not an easy
task to be whitelisted and have it for several years.)

I use Mailman - just like this list. It does not have a fingerprinting
capability, that is why I asked here for help. Trying to add it will create
quite a bit of overhead, and then would not be able to check the origin of
non-mailing list messages. Doing it in Exim would make life easier and
then would cover all emails sent from the server.

BTW - you can only get an individual id in the maillog - as it is created by
Exim. MLM logs never have that - just as you sending an email from your
own personal computer to more than one person does not have the individual
queue id. The message id you have, but that would be the same for all
people on your distribution, just like it is for all emails on a mailing
list.

Example the ID you machine used when sending the reply was

That id would be the same for every person who received this email on the
list.

The id from exim.org is:

(envelope-from <exim-users-bounces@???>)
    id 1KmLFc-0000JE-OQ;

That id is only for me.

Here is comment from the creator/programmer of Mailman, Brad Knowles :

"Personally, I'm about ready to get together with a few other people and
rewrite the RFC describing the ARF format, and update it such that you
cannot possibly be compliant with the 2.0 format if you redact any
information whatsoever. Then the entire Internet can beat the holy living
crap out of them for not being 2.0 format compliant.

And I say this as the former Sr. Internet Administrator for AOL.

--
Brad Knowles "

and you see what he used to do for a living at AOL.

Oh, and thank you for taking the time to look at my website, Bill. I
appreciate your response, and giving me the chance to make my request
clearer.