著者: Jajati Sahu
To: Odhiambo Washington
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [exim] exim configuration
Hi Odhiambo,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes you are right, i must be very specific before asking such type of question.
Ok following is my settings and please guide if u can.

  I have two machines (FreeBSD) on the same local networks. Both have exim installed (I know only one required)
  Machine 1:
  ---------------
  /etc/hosts: ip1 machine1.domain.com
                  ip2 machine2.domain.com
  /etc/rc.conf: hostname machine1.domain.com
                    ifconfig ip1 netmask ....
  /etc/resolve.conf: domainname domain.com
  /usr/local/etc/exim/configure:
      primary_hostname machine1.domain.com
      and configured as outgoing relay for machine2.domain.com
  And have user test (say)

  Machine 2:
  ---------------
  /etc/hosts: ip1 machine1.domain.com
                  ip2 machine2.domain.com
  /etc/rc.conf: hostname machine2.domain.com
                    ifconfig ip2 netmask ....
  /etc/resolve.conf: domainname domain.com
  /usr/local/etc/exim/configure:
      primary_hostname machine2.domain.com

Now i want to send mail from root@??? to test@???
But it gives error dns lookup could not complete. I can ping between both machines using the hostname (not ip address). Also i can send mail from root@??? to my yahoo id from both machines if connect to network. But can't send mails between them. I am not using any POP, IMAP or MUA or any client. I am just using mail command to send mail and see the contens of /var/mail/test for any mails.

Futher googling, i configure machine1 as SMTP server for machine2 on configuration file of exim in machine2 (in the routers section). But still getting some error as dns lookup time out (couldn't recall). Right now i don't have the log from /var/log/exim/mainlog file. I will send them later if required.

Is there any specific settings require for gateway and dns server?

Thanks
Jajati

Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@???> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Jajati Sahu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am very new to any mailing application.
> I have installed exim on my FreeBSD machine. I want to send mail
> from one machine to another machine on the same local network. I
> configured some relay settings on configure file for exim but could
> not able to send mails to other machines.
> Any pointers or specific configurations for two machines exchanging
> mails using exim?

Hello Jajati,

E-mails are never sent between machines. Emails are sent between
e-mail addresses. For e-mail to work, there must be a domain name,
e.g. gmail.com.
In your case, you will require to configure exim (Edit the file
/usr/local/etc/exim/configure) and give it a domain name, under the
entry:

domainlist local_domains = YOUR_DOMAIN_NAME_HERE

Then you need to create user accounts on this "server" (yes, it just
became a mail server). Using outlook, you can then send mail from
user1@your_domain_name to user2@your_domain_name. However, you will
also require another application to help in the RETRIEVAL of the
e-mail. This is called POP3 server and you can use
/usr/ports/mail/dovecot for it.

The waters you have decided to step on are deep - you must be able to
read about these applications, understand how they work, configure
yours and only ask questions when you have problems and when you can
explain the nature of the problem you encounter, not a general
question like you asked, which is almost vague!

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,

--from a /. post