To: exim-users
題目: [exim] exim configuration
Hi All,

I am very new to any mailing application.
I have installed exim on my FreeBSD machine. I want to send mail
from one machine to another machine on the same local network. I
configured some relay settings on configure file for exim but could
not able to send mails to other machines.
Any pointers or specific configurations for two machines exchanging

mails using exim?

Thanks in advance.
Jajati

       From odhiambo@??? Wed Jul 09 16:57:13 2008
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 18:57:08 +0300
From: "Odhiambo Washington" <odhiambo@???>
To: "Jajati Sahu" <jajati_sahu@???>
Cc: exim-users@???
Subject: Re: [exim] exim configuration

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Jajati Sahu <jajati_sahu@???> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am very new to any mailing application.
> I have installed exim on my FreeBSD machine. I want to send mail
> from one machine to another machine on the same local network. I
> configured some relay settings on configure file for exim but could
> not able to send mails to other machines.
> Any pointers or specific configurations for two machines exchanging
> mails using exim?

Hello Jajati,

E-mails are never sent between machines. Emails are sent between
e-mail addresses. For e-mail to work, there must be a domain name,
e.g. gmail.com.
In your case, you will require to configure exim (Edit the file
/usr/local/etc/exim/configure) and give it a domain name, under the
entry:

domainlist local_domains = YOUR_DOMAIN_NAME_HERE

Then you need to create user accounts on this "server" (yes, it just
became a mail server). Using outlook, you can then send mail from
user1@your_domain_name to user2@your_domain_name. However, you will
also require another application to help in the RETRIEVAL of the
e-mail. This is called POP3 server and you can use
/usr/ports/mail/dovecot for it.

The waters you have decided to step on are deep - you must be able to
read about these applications, understand how they work, configure
yours and only ask questions when you have problems and when you can
explain the nature of the problem you encounter, not a general
question like you asked, which is almost vague!

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,

--from a /. post