著者: Richard Neuböck
To: exim-users
題目: [exim] retry confusion
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with retries. Either I misunderstand something
or I've got a configuration error. I would greatly appreciate any help!

The situation is as follows: My mailer (exim 4.6) sends an email to a
domain with multiple MX entries (i.e. mail1.foo.bar MX 10, mail2.foo.bar
MX 20). The first MX fails (either because of 'connection refused' or
'temporary error' does not matter). As I understand the exim manual
chapter 32 the mailer should check its retry rules before trying the
next MX.

The default retry configuration should default to all domains and all error:

begin retry
*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

However, after failing to deliver the mail to the first MX the mailer
immediately tries the second MX. Shouldn't the first retry wait at least
15 minutes according to the retry rule?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Greetings
Richard